February 17, 2026 08:31 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Gaza: UN envoy welcomes temporary opening of Rafah crossing

| | Jun 12, 2015, at 02:23 pm
New York, Jun 12 (IBNS): The United Nations special envoy on the Middle East has welcomed the Government of Egypt’s decision to temporarily open a critical border crossing for residents of Gaza as a result of the dialogue between Palestinian and Egyptian authorities.

In a statement issued earlier on Thursday, UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov applauded the Egyptian decision to open the Rafah crossing from 13 to 15 June in both directions, following consultations between President Abbas and the Egyptian authorities.

“I hope that the security conditions will allow for this decision to be extended and that Rafah can be open on a regular basis,” Mladenov declared.

He said, “The need for the full lifting of all closures however remains. A sustainable solution to address the situation also requires the return of control of the crossings in Gaza to the Palestinian Authority.”

Currently, Palestinians in Gaza can enter and exit the Strip through three potential access points – the Rafah Crossing connecting Gaza with Egypt and the Kerem Shalom and Erez crossings connecting into Israel.

Two other crossings – at Sufa and Karni – have been closed.

The closures have only added to Gaza’s woes as the enclave seeks to rebuild from the destruction caused by last summer’s 51-day conflict and remains heavily reliant on imported construction materials.

During a recent visit to Gaza at the end of April, Mladenov pledged ongoing UN support for efforts to reconstruct the war-ravaged enclave, lift Israel’s years-long blockade there and help strengthen Palestinian unity.

On Thursday, he reiterated the Organization’s call for a return to dialogue in the region and measures to build a viable two-state solution.

He said, “A permanent end to the suffering of the Palestinian people can only be achieved through an end to occupation and realization of the two-state solution in which Gaza is an integral part of the Palestinian state.”

Photo: OCHA (file)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.