February 21, 2026 03:09 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Formation of Houthi government ‘complicates search for peaceful solution’ to Yemen crisis – UN envoy

| | Nov 30, 2016, at 01:31 pm
New York, Nov 30 (Just Earth News): Describing the recent announcement by Ansar Allah and the General People’s Congress of the creation of a new Government as “a new and unnecessary obstacle” to peace in Yemen, the United Nations envoy for the country on Tuesday urged the parties “to re-think their approach and demonstrate their commitment to the peace process with concrete actions.”

In a statement issued earlier on Tuesday, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, said that a proposal to form a new government in the capital, Sana’a, goes against the interests of Yemeni people, and contradicts the recent commitments provided by both sides to the UN and to the United States Secretary of State John Kerry in Muscat.

“Yemen is at a critical juncture. The actions recently taken by Ansar Allah and the General People's Congress will only complicate the search for a peaceful solution. The parties must hold Yemen’s national interests above narrow partisan ambitions and take immediate steps to end political divisions and address the country’s security, humanitarian and economic challenges,” he said in the statement.

New political arrangements should only be based on UN sponsored negotiations and not unilateral actions by any side,” said Ould Cheikh Ahmed, referring to the talks he had been facilitating between the sides.

Yemen has been engulfed in violence for more than 18 months – a confrontation between the country's Houthis (Ansar Allah) and the Government of Yemen in early 2014 led to a Houthi advance on the capital, and an ensuing conflict which has involved support from outside parties. The UN has been heavily involved in efforts to resolve the crisis.

In his statement on Tuesday, Ould Cheikh Ahmed said: “There is still a chance to pull Yemen back from the brink. The roadmap I presented to the parties recently offers such an opportunity. I ask the representatives of Ansar Allah and the General People’s Congress to re-think their approach and demonstrate their commitment to the peace process with concrete actions.”

Moreover, it is crucial to engage constructively in the peace process in order to reach a negotiated settlement that brings about a permanent end to military hostilities and enables the resumption of a peaceful, inclusive, orderly and Yemeni-led political transition that meets the legitimate demands and aspirations of the Yemeni people.

“I urge all parties to recommit to and fully respect the terms and conditions of the Cessation of Hostilities, which will include a complete halt to ground and air military activities and allow the increased flow of humanitarian assistance, he said, calling on all sides to resume working through the De-Escalation and Coordination Committee to facilitate the strengthening of the pause in hostilities.

Finally, the envoy underscored that the conflict can only be brought to an end through civilized and negotiated political settlement. “The Yemeni people have suffered for far too long, and there is no reason to let this war continue.”

UN Photo/Jean-Marc Ferré

Source: www.justearthnews.com


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.