February 19, 2026 02:24 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

First-round vote in strife-torn Central African Republic undeniable success: UN envoy

| | Jan 01, 2016, at 03:22 pm
New York, Jan 1 (Just Earth News/IBNS): Wednesday's presidential and legislative elections in the Central African Republic (CAR), a major step on the path to stability after two years of conflict between Muslims and Christians, were an "undeniable success" with a massive turnout, the top United Nations official there said on Thursday.

Even so, in a sign of the perils facing CAR after fighting between the mainly Muslim Séléka and mainly Christian anti-Balaka groups has killed thousands and driven hundreds of thousands more from their homes, armed elements attacked troops and police from the UN Mission in CAR (MINUSCA) in Bangui, the capital, on Thursday as they loaded electoral materials into a truck.

Three police were injured, two of them seriously, in the attack near the Fatima school in the sixth vote district.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s Special Representative in CAR, Parfait Onanga-Anyanga, called on all sides to follow through on this first round of polls in choosing a new Government, stressing that a full dialogue among all is vital for national reconciliation, and urging courage and determination in fighting impunity.

“MINUSCA will continue to play its role as a catalyst for international efforts to support a determined and coordinated push for peace, justice and sustainable development,” he said in a communique.

The UN has played a major role in seeking to restore peace in the country, with military and police units from the 11,000-strong MINUSCA joining soldiers from the French Sangaris force and local security teams yesterday at polling stations throughout CAR to ensure a peaceful vote.

Polls closed in a positive atmosphere without any major security incidents, the Mission reported.

Some stations remained open until all those waiting in line cast their votes. Soon after stations closed, MINUSCA began securing the collection and transportation of ballots from the central processing point.

After nine months of improved stability in CAR, earlier this year a new wave of inter-communal violence erupted in September, killing at least 130 people, injuring 430 others, and triggering an 18 per cent increase in the number of internally displaced persons to 447,500.

Photo: MINUSCA/www.justearthnews.com

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.