February 16, 2026 02:20 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule

DR Congo: UN refugee agency concerned at sudden closure of displaced persons camp

| | Dec 06, 2014, at 02:24 pm
New York, Dec 6 (IBNS) The United Nations refugee agency voiced concern on Fridayover the sudden closure of a camp for internally displaced people, or IDPs, located in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), exposing some 2,000 to potential lawlessness, banditry and sexual violence against women perpetrated by militia groups still operating in the area.

According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), on 2 December, local authorities shuttered the Kiwanja IDP camp in the DRC’s North Kivu Province, ordering 2,300 residents to leave their makeshift shelters and return to their homes. The shelters were then immediately destroyed.

“Many of the IDPs did not have home to go back to and were worried that they will not be safe in their villages,” William Spindler, a UNHCR spokesperson, told journalists at a press briefing in Geneva. “In addition, many IDPs had planted crops and would like to harvest those before leaving.”

While UNHCR acknowledged that a steady improvement of the security situation in the area had prompted many IDPs to voluntarily return to their homes, it called on the DRC Government and local authorities to ensure that all IDP relocations and returns were “voluntary and in compliance with international humanitarian and human rights law.”

For those IDPs unable or unwilling to return to their villages of origin, UNHCR recommended that additional measures be implemented to help them access livelihood opportunities in their locations of displacement.

Nonetheless, UNHCR’s Karin de Gruijl, who also spoke at the briefing, added that despite the improved security situation and the fact that most combatants associated with the 23 March Movement (M23) – the group which had previously terrorized the region – had been brought under control, many other militia groups continued to roam the countryside threatening civilians.

The UN agency estimates that, to date, a total of 890,000 people remain displaced throughout North Kivu Province, including 212,054 IDPs living at 60 sites.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.