February 16, 2026 09:07 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

DR Congo: UN, African Union urge eastern town to support operations to end rebel threat

| | Oct 25, 2014, at 04:20 pm
New York, Oct 25 (IBNS) Visiting the site of a recent flare-up of deadly violence in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), United Nations and African Union (AU) envoys met with the Mayor of the town of Beni, Congolese military officials and local leaders, urging a united front to "put an end to the terror imposed on the population by armed groups," including Ugandan-based rebels operating in the area.

Martin Kobler, head of the UN stabilization mission in the country, known by its French acronym, MONUSCO, Saïd Djinnit, UN Special Envoy for the Great Lakes region, and Boubacar Diarra, AU Special Representative for Burundi and the Great Lakes region, reiterated that only united action by the Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC), MONUSCO and the population would the armed groups be successfully reigned in.

According to a press release, the envoys had meetings with the mayor of Beni, FARDC officials and the local population. They stated their assurance in the determination of the FARDC and MONUSCO to end, once and for all, the threat posed by the Ugandan rebel group in Beni territory.

They stressed that the confidence and support of all stakeholders involved to the FARDC and MONUSCO is essential for the success of joint operations. They appealed to the population to unite and cooperate with all actors in eliminating the authors of these terrorist acts.

Nearly a week ago,  Kobler called for “decisive joint military actions” by the Congolese army and UN peacekeeping troops in the wake of two deadly attacks by suspected to quell the activities of suspected Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels near the town Beni.

Around two dozen of people in Eringeti, North of Beni were killed by suspected ADF elements in the night between 17 and 18 October, the Mission says. This follows an incident in the early evening of 15 October, when a group of assailants presumed to belong to the ADF attacked the Ngadi and Kadu localities in Beni area leading to the death of more than two dozen people.

Earlier this week, MONUSCO stepped up its security following several attacks on its bases in Beni, including when a large number of youths converged on the premises, and another which required the evacuation of 12 staff members.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.