February 16, 2026 08:00 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns
Atsok monastery
Photo Courtesy: Pixabay

Demolition of Atsok monastery begins amid strict restrictions in Tibet

| @indiablooms | Jun 13, 2024, at 12:04 am

Amid the restriction of movement of the local Tibetan population and the internet regulations, the demolition of 135-year-old Atsok Monastery in Amdo has begun, media reports said.

According to research group Tibet Watch, Chinese authorities have forbidden the public from taking or sharing photos and videos of the monastery’s demolition as well as the construction of the Yangchu hydropower station on social media, reported Phayul.

Residents have been banned from visiting the monastery and the relocation site.

Construction at the relocation site is incomplete, and monks reside in temporary makeshift shelters. Monastery property has been stored in a warehouse in Palkha Township, the news portal reported.

The research group revealed that a source from Tibet reported an incident involving a Tibetan from Dekyi Village who was arrested and detained by police last month after sharing pictures of the demolition and a photo of the Dalai Lama on the micro-messaging app WeChat. The individual’s identity and current whereabouts remain unknown, the news portal further said.

The relocation is being done as a part of a hydropower project approved on November 29, 2021, by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.