February 17, 2026 10:41 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Cyprus: UN special envoy sees no obstacle to early resumption of talks

| | Apr 08, 2015, at 03:52 pm
New York, Apr 8 (IBNS): The Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus, Espen Barth Eide, told reporters in Nicosia on Tuesday that he sees no obstacle to a very early resumption of talks between Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot negotiators once the elections in the north of the country are over.

“Reasons why talks could not happen are gone, at least for the foreseeable future, and that that makes it possible to prepare for the resumption of talks in a structured, results oriented and fast manner,” said Eide.

He said, “I have shared this perspective with both leaders today, with Anastasiades, representing the Greek Cypriot community and Dervis Eroglu, representing the Turkish Cypriot community, and they both agreed that the circumstances are now right.”

Eide said he strongly feels that 2015 is going to be a decisive year, that he hopes it will be a decisive one in the right direction.

“The conditions are in place,” he said.

He added, "“We also have behind us a crisis that illustrates the broader dimensions of the Cyprus problem and why it is maybe more important than ever before to work towards a settlement in line with the Joint Declaration and the principles already laid out, both there, and also in the statement that was presented here on 17 September.”

He said the absence of a settlement was the big problem that all Cypriots share and he associated that with young people leaving the island, with investments that could have happened not happening, why the benefits of economies of scale had not yet been fully realized, and why it had been hard to prepare for Cyprus’s hydrocarbons phase of its history.

“I want to call on all Cypriots to realize that this is a decisive moment, not only for political leaders, but also for everybody living on this island,” said Eide.

He said he felt every single issue open for discussion could be resolved with dedication and sustained will and he said that while there was no date set for the resumption of talks, that would change once the outcome of the election in the north was known.

“I think that this is really a time to think strategically and not tactically,” he said.

He added, “Not only at the leaders’ level but across all elements of society, and understand that this is an opportunity that has to be grasped. It is a window of opportunity.”

Photo: UN Photo/Loey Felipe

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.