February 19, 2026 05:20 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Civilians in embattled Yarmouk facing 'starvation and dehydration', UN agency warns

| | Apr 17, 2016, at 12:32 pm
New York, Apr 17 (Just Earth News/IBNS): Up to 10,000 civilians in Yarmouk camp in Damascus, Syria, have gone without food and water for more than a week due to ongoing fighting, on Saturday warned the United Nations relief agency charged with the well-being of Palestinian refugees across the Middle East.

“Credible reports from inside Yarmouk indicate extensive, deliberate fire-damage to homes and other civilian buildings on a scale hardly seen before,” according to a statement by Chris Gunness, the spokesperson for the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).

He said that people are trapped in their homes, hunkered down to avoid being hit by bullets and shrapnel.

“Whatever supplies of food and water they had have long been exhausted,”  Gunness said.

He added that “civilians in Yarmouk are facing starvation and dehydration alongside the heightened risks of serious injury and death from the armed conflict” which has continued unabated for 10 days.

The UN agency “strongly deplores the inhumane deprivation” imposed on civilians in Yarmouk, and calls on the individuals and entities involved to cease hostilities, to comply with the obligations under international humanitarian law.

Humanitarian missions are on standby to deliver aid to Yarmouk and neighbouring Yalda areas, as soon as the situation allows such access, the statement notes.

In a press statement in February, UNRWA noted that the camp had been taken over by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group on 1 April last year, and humanitarian access remained acute.

Photo: UNRWA/Taghrid Mohammed

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.