February 23, 2026 02:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

China extends hold on terror tag for Jaish chief Masood Azhar

| | Aug 03, 2017, at 05:54 pm
United Nations, Aug 3 (IBNS) : Maintaining its earlier stand that comes significant in the light of the worsening relationship with India, China has extended its hold on the pending application in the UN to designate Pakistan-based JeM terror group leader Masood Azhar as a terrorist.

China says it will take “a decision in due course."

” The Chinese side will make the decision+ in due course,” media reports quoted the Chinese foreign ministry as saying  about the pending application proposed by the US+ , the UK and France among others in the 1267 anti-terrorism committee of the UN Security Council.
Early this year, China had put a six-month technical hold on the application which is expected to come up for review shortly.

“We have stated China’s position on the listing of the 1267 Committee of the UN Security Council many times” in the past, the ministry said in a written response.

China has been blocking India’s move stating that there is no consensus in the UNSC 1267 which enforces a global ban on terror groups and their leaders with affiliations to al-Qaida and the Islamic State. JeM has already been in the banned list.

This is the second year China has blocked attempts to bring about a UN ban on Azhar which would force Pakistan to act against him.

India moved for the UN ban against Azhar in March last year accusing him of masterminding the Pathankot terrorist attack.

China was the only member in the 15-nation UN body to put a hold on India’s application with all other 14 members of the Council supporting New Delhi’s bid to place Azhar on the 1267 sanctions list that would subject him to an assets freeze and travel ban.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.