February 16, 2026 03:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule

Central African Republic: rebels clash with UN peacekeepers during weekend fighting

| | Dec 23, 2014, at 02:01 pm
New York, Dec 23 (IBNS) The United Nations mission in the Central African Republic has said it is concerned about fighting that took place this weekend in several locations around the country, including between anti-Balaka members and peacekeepers.

“On Saturday, anti-Balaka elements clashed with peacekeepers in Berberati when MINUSCA troops were deployed to prevent anti-Balaka attacks in the area,” UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told a news conference in New York. He said one anti-Balaka member and one civilian were killed, and the Mission also recovered a number of weapons.

Peacekeepers serving with the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the CAR (MINUSCA) were involved in another armed confrontation on Sunday in Nola. A peacekeeper and one civilian were slightly injured during the clash and four anti-Balaka members were apprehended and disarmed.

The Mission also reported fighting near Bambari on Saturday between anti-Balaka and the ex-Séléka branch of ‘General’ Ali Darass’ forces. Three ex-Séléka and four civilians were said to have died and four others were wounded.

On Monday, in Batangafo, the situation is tense, the Mission reports, after two ex-Séléka were killed by anti-Balaka members.

“The Mission is also closely monitoring the situation and addressing these issues both through political channels and providing security with its troops,” said  Dujarric. “The Human Rights Division of the Mission will also deploy a mobile human rights unit to investigate further.”

Earlier this month, Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Hervé Ladsous warned of a potentially explosive situation in the CAR amid continuing violent clashes between the mainly Muslim Séléka alliance and anti-Balaka militia, which are mostly Christian.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.