February 18, 2026 05:44 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Central Africa: UN refugee agency condemns attack on camp in Batangafo

| | Nov 12, 2015, at 02:42 pm
New York, Nov 12 (Just Earth News/IBNS): Following a killing and revenge attack on a camp for internally displace people in the Central African Republic (CAR) town of Batangafo, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on Wednesday expressed concern about the spreading insecurity in the country and condemned the violent attack on the camp.

“We strongly condemn these horrific acts that have cost the lives of innocent people. We call on all actors to restore calm and respect the civilian and humanitarian character of IDP [internally displaced person] camps,” said Charles Mballa, UNHCR’s Deputy Representative to CAR.

According to preliminary reports from UNHCR, rebel fighters entered the camp yesterday to reportedly avenge the killing of two young Muslim men earlier that day in the same camp.

The agency added that the rebels fired shots and torched huts and community shelters, triggering panic and killing five people, including an elderly woman who was burnt to death in her shelter.

UNHCR said that about 5,500 people fled the camp and sought shelter in safer areas near a camp for UN peacekeepers and the compound of Médecins Sans Frontières as nearly 730 huts were destroyed in the attack along with a youth centre.

The agency also reported fresh violence and forced displacements erupting in other areas, including Bambari, where this morning armed men believed to be ex-Séléka killed two students.

UNHCR said that Bambari killings followed an attack last Friday on the village of Awatche, which forced some 900 people to flee to a UNHCR-run camp housing 1,850 Sudanese refugees in Pladama Ouaka.

“We all have a shared responsibility to protect civilians and preserve the neutrality and security of safe havens,” said Mballa.

The agency observed that any incident can trigger spiralling violence in the country and recalled that despite relative calm since January 2015, the capital Bangui has been severely affected by violence since September 26, when armed clashes left at least 90 people dead and forced more than 40,000 people to flee to safer areas following the killing of a Muslim taxi driver.

UNHCR estimates indicate that CAR had an internally displaced population approximately at 399,000 (as of mid-October), while almost 460,000 had fled to neighbouring countries.

Photo: OCHA/Gemma Cortes/www.justearthnews.com

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.