February 17, 2026 12:18 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Central Africa: UN deplores protestor's death after attacks

| | Apr 11, 2015, at 02:11 pm
New York, Apr 11 (IBNS): The United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic, known by its French acronym MINUSCA, has deplored the death and injuries resulting from a mob attack against its base in the city of Kaga-Bandoro – the second violent act of this kind in less than a week.

In a press release issued on Friday, the Mission reported that UN peacekeepers tried to hold back a mob of some 300 to 400 people as they attempted to break through the barrier of the base’s entrance by setting it on fire earlier this morning.

At the same time, the crowd, armed with stones and knives, hurled projectiles at the ‘blue helmets’ who responded with warning shots. The incident resulted in the death and injuries of a number of assailants.

“MINUSCA deeply regrets this incident and has decided to immediately open an investigation to determine the exact circumstances in which a Central African citizen lost his life and others were injured,” the Mission said in the press release in which it also expressed its condolences to the family of the deceased.

it added, “MINUSCA reaffirms its commitment to the population in order to calm the situation.”

More than two years of civil war and sectarian violence have displaced thousands of people in CAR. According to UN estimates, nearly 440,000 people remain displaced inside the country while some 190,000 have sought asylum across the borders.

At the same time, more than 36,000 people remain trapped within the landlocked country in enclaves across the country, hoping to find asylum in neighbouring States.

Moreover, the UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) recently reported that some 1.5 million people in CAR remain food insecure amid ongoing hostilities throughout the country and cautioned that the figure was likely to rise should immediate support not be provided.

Photo:UN Photo/Catianne Tijerina

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.