February 17, 2026 02:50 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Cambodia
Image: Unsplash

Cambodian PM allocates 150 mln USD for road construction in tourist town despite COVID-19 threat

| @indiablooms | Sep 04, 2020, at 10:45 pm

Phnom Penh/Xinhua: Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen on Friday decided to allocate 150 million U.S. dollars from national reserve funds to construct roads in the tourist town of Siem Reap province.

The allocation was announced during a weekly Cabinet meeting.

Hun Sen said the COVID-19 could not stop the government from developing the nation, saying that constructing roads in Siem Reap provincial town is crucial to serve tourism in the post-pandemic era.

"Some 38 stretches of roads will be constructed in the town, and they will help improve living conditions for local people and help boost economic growth in the post-COVID-19 era," he wrote on his official Facebook page.

The prime minister said he will soon break ground for the road construction, which is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2021.

Located in the country's northwestern part, Siem Reap is the home of the Angkor Archaeological Park, a world heritage site. The ancient park is the kingdom's most popular tourist hub, attracting 2.2 million foreign tourists in 2019.

Due to the impact of the COVID-19, the park has experienced a huge decline in the number of foreign tourists so far this year. According to the latest report, the park received 393,293 foreign visitors during the first eight months of 2020, down 74 percent over the same period last year.

The Southeast Asian nation has recorded a total of 274 confirmed COVID-19 cases to date, with 272 patients cured and two being hospitalized. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.