February 19, 2026 02:19 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Brussels blasts kill over 30

| | Mar 23, 2016, at 01:04 am
Brussels, Mar 22 (IBNS) The city of Brussels was on Tuesday hit by three blasts, targeting the airport and a metro station, that left at least 31 people killed and 100 others injured, reports said.

Twin blasts hit Zaventem airport  which killed at least 11 people and injured 81 others, reports said.

The third blast occurred at Maelbeek metro station later which left at least 20 dead.

"Belgium has now raised its terrorism threat to its highest level," BBC reported.

Belgian PM  Charles Michel was quoted as saying to media: "This is a day of tragedy, a black day."

He described the incident as "blind, violent and cowardly".

Immediately after the explosions, the airport and whole transport system have been shut down.

The incident occurred just days after Salah Abdeslam, who is the main suspect in the Paris attacks, was captured from Brussels.

European Union president Donald Tusk has called the incident as a terrorist attack.

"I am appalled by the bombings this morning at Zaventem airport and the European district in Brussels which have cost several innocent lives and injured many others," he said in a statement.

"I extend my sincerest sympathies to the relatives and friends of the victims. These attacks mark another low by the terrorists in the service of hatred and violence," read the statement. 

No Indian has been killed in the explosions so far.

"I am in touch with Mr Manjeev Puri Indian Ambassador in Brussels. He has informed me that so far there is no report of any Indian casualty," External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted.

However, two crew member of Jet Airways were injured after explosions hit Zaventem Airport in Brusselson Tuesday, officials said.

" Jet Airways staff and crew are safe. Two of our staff have been injured and are receiving medical care," Jet Airways said in a statement.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj earlier tweeted,"However, an Indian lady crew member of Jet Airways is injured. She has been rushed to the hospital."

Indian Embassy's helpline in Brussels : +32-26409140 +32-26451850 (PABX) & +32-476748575 (mobile) Pl RT
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.