May 22, 2026 07:48 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
Brazil Crackdown
Police in Brazil. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Brazil: Police launch massive crackdown against  organised crime in Rio, 64 dead

| @indiablooms | Oct 29, 2025, at 09:43 am

At least 64 people were killed and more than 80 others arrested after police launched a large-scale operation against organized crime in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Tuesday, according to media reports.

Among the dead were four Brazilian police officers, security officials told CNN.

Rio de Janeiro State Governor Cláudio Castro’s office confirmed on X (formerly Twitter) that 42 rifles were seized during the coordinated crackdown.

“So far, 81 criminals have been arrested and 42 rifles seized in the integrated operation by security forces in Alemão and Penha,” the governor’s office said in a post on X.

The city’s Civil Police said four officers were killed during the operation, which took place in Rio’s North Zone.

“The Civil Police of the State of Rio de Janeiro deeply regrets the loss of our heroes who gave their lives in defense of society during Operation Containment,” the department said in a statement posted on X.

The UN Human Rights Office expressed shock over the scale of the violence, saying it was “horrified” by the deadly police actions in Rio’s favelas.

“We are horrified by the ongoing police operation in favelas in Rio de Janeiro, reportedly already resulting in deaths of over 60 people, including four police officers,” it said on X.

“This deadly operation furthers the trend of extreme lethal consequences of police actions in Brazil’s marginalized communities. We remind authorities of their obligations under international human rights law and urge prompt and effective investigations,” the UN body added.

César Muñoz, Brazil director at Human Rights Watch, called Tuesday’s events a “disaster.”

“Disastrous police raids in low-income neighborhoods in Rio de Janeiro resulted in the killing of more than 60 residents and police. Prosecutors should lead thorough investigations into the deaths and the decisions by Rio authorities that led to this tragedy,” Muñoz said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.