February 16, 2026 06:15 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns
Videograb of Army marching on roads in Bangladesh from X

Bangladesh govt orders 'shoot-on-sight' to quell student protests as death toll reaches 133

| @@indiablooms | Jul 21, 2024, at 06:10 pm

Dhaka/IBNS: The Bangladesh government has ordered the army to 'shoot-on-sight' in order to quell the civil unrest and for those defying the curfew orders as soldiers patrolled the streets amid the violent protest by students over demanding quota reform in government jobs, media reports said.

The Sheikh Hasina government Friday imposed a countrywide curfew and deployed troops as at least 133 deaths have been reported so far in violent protests and clashes over the government job quota system.

Meanwhile, Hasina was scheduled to leave the country on Sunday for a planned diplomatic tour but abandoned her plans amid protests.

The curfew was lifted briefly on Saturday afternoon to allow people to run essential errands. People have been ordered to remain at home and all gatherings and demonstrations have been banned.

Bangladesh's government has shut down internet services nationwide since Thursday.

Government websites remain offline and major newspapers including the Dhaka Tribune and Daily Star have been unable to update their social media platforms.

The Supreme Court is set to meet later on Sunday to issue a verdict on whether to abolish the contentious job quotas.

Nearly 1,000 Indian students have returned to India from Bangladesh through various land transit points or by flight. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said the Foreign Ministry is fully focused on ensuring safety and well-being of the Indians in Bangladesh.

The US State Department has warned Americans not to travel to Bangladesh and said it would begin removing some diplomats and their families from the country roiled by deadly civil unrest.

Violence escalated in Bangladesh's capital Dhaka and other places over protests by students, demanding reforms to the quota system for government jobs.

The protesters are demanding an end to a quota system that reserves up to 30 percent of government jobs for relatives of veterans who fought in Bangladesh's war of independence in 1971 against Pakistan.

The quotas have caused anger among students who face high youth unemployment rates, with nearly 32 million young Bangladeshis not in work or education out of a total population of 170 million people.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.