February 16, 2026 05:49 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

Bangladesh cops storm militant hideout, kill Dhaka cafe attack mastermind

| | Aug 27, 2016, at 06:06 pm
Dhaka, Aug 27 (IBNS) : Three militants including the mastermind of Gulshan café attack, were killed during a joint forces raid on a house in Bangladesh's Narayanganj, on the outskirts of Dhaka, on Satuday morning.

The Daily Star quoted Monirul Islam, chief of Dhaka Metropolitan Police counter-terrorism unit, as confirming the news.

A joint team from Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit, police headquarters and district police jointly carried out the operation “Operation Hit Strong 27” in which Tamim Ahmed Chowdhury, a Bangladesh born Canadian citizen, was among those killed.

The identities of two others are yet to be established.

Chowdhury was said to be the mastermind of the terror attack in Gulshan cafe on July 1, in which 20 hostages, including 18 foreigners,were killed.


The forces cordoned off the three-storey house since the morning after getting  information that a group of militants were staying there, Mainul Haq, superintendent of Narayanganj police, told The Daily Star.

As they  tried to enter the house, the militants  opened fire from inside, the SP said.


Earlier on July 26, nine militants were killed during a special drive of the joint forces in Dhaka’s Kalyanpur.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.