February 16, 2026 05:47 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule

Ban welcomes proposal for 'high-level dialogue' between two Koreas

| | Dec 30, 2014, at 07:20 pm
New York, Dec 30 (IBNS) United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed a proposal by the Government of the Republic of Korea to kick-start a high-level dialogue with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) in an effort to thaw relations between the two countries.

In a statement issued on Monday by his spokesperson’s office, Mr. Ban applauded the move towards an inter-Korean exchange adding that he “sincerely hopes” that the DPRK authorities “positively consider the proposal and engage in dialogue.”

“The Secretary-General reiterates his belief that renewed engagement and dialogue is the only way forward for building trust and promoting inter-Korean relations,” the statement continued. “He will not spare any efforts to support such meaningful engagement.”

Just last month, the DPRK released two United States nationals, Kenneth Bae and Matthew Todd Miller, who had been sentenced to hard labour in the DPRK after their separate arrests in November 2012 and April 2014, respectively.

In a message following their release, Ban said the move had provided hope for “positive momentum” as international parties worked to bring peace to the Korean Peninsula, particularly following October talks between the two Koreas in which they had agreed to hold yet another round of high-level talks.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.