February 16, 2026 10:52 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

Ban, UNICEF condemn deadly suicide bombing at Nigerian school

| | Nov 11, 2014, at 08:22 pm
New York, Nov 11 (IBNS) United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon strongly condemned the suicide bombing on Monday at a government boarding school in the north-eastern Nigerian town of Potiskum, reportedly killing dozens of students and wounding countless others.

In a statement issued on Monday by his spokesperson,  Ban reiterated his conviction that “no objective justifies wanton violence against civilians,” and called for the perpetrators to be “swiftly brought to justice through a process respectful of Nigeria’s human rights obligations and for adequate security measures to be provided for the protection of civilians.

“The Secretary-General is outraged by the frequency and brutality of attacks against educational institutions in the north of the country and reiterates his demand for an immediate cessation to these abominable crimes,” the statement said.

The attack took place earlier on Monday at the Government Science Technical School Potiskum in Yobe State.

The Secretary-General also extended his sincere condolences to the families of those who were killed, and to the Government and people of Nigeria.

In related news, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) also condemned the attack on the school.

“These repeated and relentless attacks on children and schools are attacks on the future of Nigeria, a country that already has the largest number of children out of school in the world,” UNICEF said in a statement.

“We call on those with the responsibility and power to bring the perpetrators of this cruel act to justice, and to uphold their responsibilities to protect children,” the statement also said.

Nigeria has witnessed numerous attacks in recent years, many of them carried out by the militant group known as Boko Haram.


A heap of broken furniture outside burnt classrooms at a government secondary school Mamudo in Yobe state, northern Nigeria. Photo: IRIN/Aminu Abubakar (file)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.