February 17, 2026 05:23 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

As humanitarian pause holds in Yemen, UN aid airlift arrives with critical supplies

| | May 16, 2015, at 03:19 pm
New York, May 16 (IBNS): The first of six airplanes from the United Nations refugee agency bringing urgently needed aid supplies landed safely in Yemen on Friday boosting relief stocks in the war-ravaged country, on the third day of the temporary humanitarian pause, the Organization has confirmed.

“These supplies will help alleviate the tough conditions for tens of thousands of desperate civilians wrenched from their homes as a result of the escalated conflict, as well as the closing down of what were already threadbare basic services,” said Charlotte Ridung with the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Yemen.

“The population of Yemen now has some breathing space and the humanitarian community the possibility to deliver much needed assistance,” she added.

The plane, carrying blankets, kitchen utensils and sleeping mats from stockpiles in Dubai, arrived at Sana’a International Airport at 15:45 local time.

A second aircraft is expected to arrive later this afternoon. Four more flights will follow over the next two days, provided local security conditions allow.

Together, the six flights will bring in 150 metric tonnes of relief supplies into Sana’a, while more aid is on its way via Djibouti by sea – part of a larger aid effort underway for 250,000 people.

Apart from some localized skirmishes, the humanitarian pause, which officially started in the evening of 12 May, has largely held – opening up roads, markets and supply routes to UNHCR and its partners.

In the last two days, UNHCR and partners have moved and distributed aid for displaced communities in Sana’a, Amran, and Haradh in the north of Yemen, while aid from our Sana’a warehouse has been moved to Aden for distribution to some of the most vulnerable displaced people in the south.

With local partners, UNHCR has also been reaching out to communities, carrying out new assessments to inform our aid distribution and identify urgent protection needs.

An estimated 450,000 Yemenis have been uprooted from their homes in the recent conflict, joining another 330,000 people, who were previously displaced.

Some 250,000 mainly Somali refugees in Yemen have also been affected by hostilities. Another 29,000 people of mixed nationalities have fled Yemen to neighbouring countries.

Photos: WHO Yemen

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.