February 16, 2026 07:37 pm (IST)
Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Charlie Hebdo massacre
Cairo, Jan 14 (IBNS) The Yemen branch of terror outfit Al Qaeda on Wednesday owned responsibility for last week's brutal attack on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in which 12 people were killed.
Nasr al-Ansi, a top commander of Al Qaeda in Yemen, appeared in an 11-minute internet video, claiming that the attack was carried out in vengeance for the prophet, reports said.
He said Yemen's Al Qaeda branch chose the target, chalked out plans and financed the operation.
Two masked gunmen shot dead journalists and other people in Paris after the newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
The whole world was shocked following the massacre, first of its kind in France.
The two alleged attackers were later tracked down by police and shot dead in a small industrial town of France.
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Latest Headlines
German defence minister sees easing transatlantic tensions after first day in Munich Security Conference
Sun, Feb 15 2026
Foiled ISIS-inspired plot: Two men jailed for life over planned attack on Jewish community in UK
Sat, Feb 14 2026
Germany, France signal unity in race to revive economy after discord
Fri, Feb 13 2026
Teenager stabs students in London high school shouting 'Allahu Akbar', now charged with 'attempted murder'
Thu, Feb 12 2026
