February 21, 2026 08:25 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

After promising start, 2016 has been worst for civilians in Syria – UN expert

| | Dec 29, 2016, at 01:34 pm
New York, Dec 29 (Just Earth News): After a promising start, the year 2016 has been the worst for civilian casualties so far in the war in Syria, according to the head of a United Nations-mandated human rights inquiry into the Middle Eastern country.


“If we compare the year 2016 that happily is ending in a few days, I think that it was the worst in terms of attacks against the civilian population; that is, you have an escalation in terms of the military involvement by all sides against the civilian population,” said the Chair of the United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro. “It was a tragic year for the civilian population.”

Pinheiro pointed to the first three months of the year as offering “plenty of hope,” which was subsequently followed by “plenty of frustration.”

He credited Staffan de Mistura for “moments of hope,” as the UN Special Envoy for Syria built possibilities for “a real negotiation” between all of the conflict parties.

Pinheiro expressed optimism in the election and appointment of António Guterres as Secretary-General, calling it “a new element” in helping to end the Syrian conflict.

“I think that with his large experience, we’ll be able to see new initiatives concerning the very difficult path towards negotiation and peace,” he added.

Established by the UN Human Rights Council in August 2011, the Commission has been investigating and recording all violations of international law in Syria since March that year. It has conducted interviews with more than 1,400 witnesses and victims, exposing human rights violations committed throughout the country.

UN Photo/Jean-Marc Ferré

 

Source: www.justearthnews.com

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.