May 22, 2026 06:20 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
Seven high-rises were engulfed in a massive inferno in Kong Kong's Tai Po. Photo: X/Videograb.

7 Hong Kong towers ablaze: 13 dead in city’s worst high-rise fire in years

| @indiablooms | Nov 26, 2025, at 09:14 pm

A devastating fire tore through seven high-rise apartment buildings in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district on Wednesday, killing 13 people, injuring more than a dozen others, and forcing hundreds to flee as towering flames lit up the night sky, media reports said.

The blaze erupted in the afternoon and spread at alarming speed along bamboo scaffolding and construction netting wrapped around the exterior of the housing complex, materials long used in the city’s renovation projects.

Within minutes, flames were shooting out of windows, leaping between the closely packed tower blocks.

Authorities confirmed that nine people were found dead at the scene, while four others died after being rushed to the hospital, Associated Press reported.

At least 15 more were injured. The dead included one firefighter, while another was treated for heat exhaustion as rescue teams struggled to contain the blaze.

Fire Services Director Andy Yeung said the inferno was upgraded to a Level 5 alarm, the highest severity rating, shortly after nightfall, according to AP.

More than 128 fire engines and 57 ambulances were deployed as firefighters battled shifting winds and intense heat that made the rescue operation treacherous.

Video from the scene showed entire facades of the buildings ablaze as ladder trucks sprayed water from above. Police said they received multiple reports of residents trapped in upper floors, many of them believed to be elderly and unable to escape quickly.

Over 700 residents were evacuated to temporary shelters as the fire ripped through the complex, home to nearly 4,800 people across eight residential blocs.

District officials worked through the night to assist families left without homes.

Tai Po, a generally quiet suburban area near the border with Shenzhen, has been shaken by one of its deadliest residential fires in recent years.

The disaster has renewed scrutiny of bamboo scaffolding, still widely used in Hong Kong despite long-standing safety concerns.

The government announced earlier this year that the material would be phased out for public projects, an effort that now carries tragic urgency.

As dawn approached, firefighters were still racing to extinguish the final pockets of flame, and authorities warned that the death toll could rise as searches continued.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.