May 22, 2026 10:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
KKR
KKR removes Mustafizur Rahman from its IPL squad amid row over his inclusion. Photo: Mustafizur Rahman/Facebook

Bangladeshi pacer out! Why KKR released Mustafizur Rahman before IPL 2026?  

| @indiablooms | Jan 03, 2026, at 03:52 pm

The Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) on Saturday confirmed that it has released Bangladeshi pacer Mustafizur Rahman from its squad ahead of the IPL 2026 season, following instructions from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

In a statement, KKR said: “Kolkata Knight Riders confirms that BCCI/IPL, as the regulator of the IPL, has instructed it to release Mustafizur Rahman from the squad ahead of the upcoming IPL season.”

The franchise added that the release was carried out after due process and consultations.

“The release has been carried out following due process and consultations, upon the instruction of the Board of Control for Cricket in India. BCCI will allow Kolkata Knight Riders a replacement player in line with IPL regulations, and further details will be communicated in due course,” the statement said.

The decision comes amid a political and social controversy surrounding Rahman’s inclusion in the KKR squad. 

Former BJP MLA Sangeet Som had earlier labelled Bollywood actor and KKR co-owner Shah Rukh Khan a “traitor” at a public rally, alleging that signing a Bangladeshi player amounted to betraying the country. 

Som also claimed that Bangladeshi cricketers would face opposition if they toured India.

The issue escalated after spiritual leader Devkinandan Thakur appealed to KKR’s management to reconsider Rahman’s inclusion in the team.The backlash further intensified following remarks by Meera Rathore, district president of the All India Hindu Mahasabha in Agra, who staged a protest by defacing a poster of Shah Rukh Khan. 

Her comments during the protest drew widespread criticism.KKR had purchased Mustafizur Rahman for ₹9.2 crore at the IPL mini auction in December 2025.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.