February 17, 2026 05:25 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Aus Open
Image Credit: Wallpaper Cave

Australian Open: Devastating Novak Djokovic marches past De Minaur in quarterfinal

| @indiablooms | Jan 24, 2023, at 12:20 am

Melbourne/UNI: Novak Djokovic made it a lucky 13 at the Australian Open after his most clinical display at Melbourne Park this year.

Unfortunately for the home supporters, Alex de Minaur felt the wrath of the nine-time champion.

Djokovic moved into a 13th Melbourne Park quarterfinal with a 6-2 6-1 6-2 win in just over two hours at Rod Laver Arena on Monday night.

De Minaur's mentor, Lleyton Hewitt, did top Nadal at Melbourne Park in 2005. He looked on Monday from his charge's box, along with another Australian great, Tony Roche.

The opening rally, 17 shots, suggested an extended contest was on the way. That would not be unusual for De Minaur, well known for his speed and ability to defend.

Perhaps wary of such a possibility, Djokovic – the taping to his left hamstring in place once again – slammed a serve on the next point.

Indeed, lengthy exchanges became an anomaly, AO reported.

Djokovic pushed De Minaur in the fourth game, a sign of things to come. He broke for 4-2, part of a stretch where he tallied 10 straight points. He was barely conceding any points on serve, too.

Djokovic striking both forehands and backhands down the line proved a difference between the pair. And his glittering return is still there.

Djokovic fizzed a forehand return down the line to earn a breakpoint at 3-0 in the second, and put even more force behind another forehand return at 4-0 in the third.

Meanwhile, De Minaur never held a breakpoint.

Djokovic said he didn't feel the injury, but wasn't about to over-celebrate.

Djokovic faces a familiar foe next in Andrey Rublev, who beat Holger Rune in five sets earlier on Monday.

He owns a 2-0 record against the fifth seed on hard courts, but succumbed to the Russian at home in Belgrade on clay last April.

Rublev's laser-like groundstrokes, when on, can trouble the best in the business.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.