August 20, 2026 10:53 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change

"Shocking and scary" : SC orders CBI probe into videos of gang rape

| | Feb 27, 2015, at 10:25 pm
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IBNS) The Supreme Court on Friday ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to immediately probe the videos of gang rape of two women that were shared on social media.

Describing the videos as "shocking and scary," the apex court said, "It is a serious issue and something needs to be done. It is quite clear this issue is extremely serious and of great public importance.

In the videos that were circulated on messaging service WhatsApp, two women were seen being gang-raped by men who smiled for the camera.


The court also served notice on the videos to the union home and IT ministries.

Though the men in the videos are clearly visible, no arrests have been made so far.

The court said the rapists appeared to be from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar and were "Bengali-speaking."

The three states, along with Odisha, have been asked to look for the rapists.


The court took note of Hyderabad-based activist Sunitha Krishnan's complaint, who had uploaded the videos on YouTube earlier this month, asking viewers to help identify the rapists.

But the videos were later removed by YouTube, which said "it violates terms of service."
on the ground of "violation of terms of service.'

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.