August 22, 2026 08:20 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences

Jaya sets up SIT to probe Chennai building collapse

| | Jul 06, 2014, at 06:39 pm
Chennai, July 6 (IBNS): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday announced the formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe into the collapse of the 11-storey building near Chennai that claimed 61 lives.
The SIT will be headed by a joint commissioner of police.
 
The team will also have experts from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Madras, Anna University and other universities, besides those in the State Public Works Department (PWD), reports said.
 
Earlier, the state CM had set up a probe panel under a judge and said action will be taken after its report and fixing of responsibility. 
 
The building collapse, which took place on June 28, claimed lives of 61 persons.  The 11-storey building collapsed at Moulivakkam near Chennai..
 
 The six-day-long rescue operations ended on Friday and twenty seven persons were rescued and admitted to hospitals.
 
A case had been booked under several provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) at the Mangadu police station and senior executives of the firm that had taken up the construction of the building were among those arrested, The Hindu reported.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.