August 22, 2026 09:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences

"Government to not scale down Priyanka, Robert's security"

| | Jun 03, 2014, at 12:16 am
New Delhi, June 2 (IBNS): In the wake of Congress leader Priyanaka Gandhi's letter to the Special Protection Group (SPG) asking for withdrawal of the special airport exemptions provided to her family, the Centre has decided not to scale down the security being provided to her and her husband Robert Vadra.
Minister of State Home Kiren Rijiju said matters of security should not be "politicised" and should be left for the agencies to decide.
 
Rijiju told CNN-IBN that any decision on personal security will be based on threat perception and will not be politicised. 
 
"Security is not the issue to be judged by the whims and fancies of individuals," said Rijiju on being asked about Priyanka's letter to the SPG Director seeking withdrawal of security.
 
This comes after Priyanaka Gandhi wrote a letter to the SPG, asking for withdrawal of the special airport exemptions provided to her family, when they are travelling together.
 
Priyanka in her letter had said that they were given these privileges by the agency itself without asking for them. 
 
"I would like to bring to your notice that his (Robert Vadra's) inclusion on that list came about at the insistence of your predecessors in the SPG/Delhi Police and not upon any request by either of us. Ever since then, it has been a source of constant embarrassment for my husband who has asked me on numerous occasions to have it removed," her letter said.
 
She, therefore, requested for removal of security when her family travels together.
 
"Since the government is now reportedly considering the removal of his name, I would like to inform you that I do not feel it will be correct for my children and me to avail of the facility of exemption when we are all traveling together," the letter said.
 
Her letter came a day after Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju Pusapati hinted that Robert Vadra may not be provided with the special privileges at airports.
 
"Security should be meaningful and not ornamental. It will depend on whether the Home Ministry feels there is a threat perception, and I am not talking about Vadra, we'll have to see," Pusapati had told media on May 29
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.