August 22, 2026 04:24 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences

Court to give verdict on Kerala Bars' shutdown case today

| | Oct 30, 2014, at 03:45 pm
Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 30 (IBNS): The Kerala High Court will pronounce its verdict on Thursday over the issue of state government's decision to shut down over 700 bars and a clutch of petitions challenging the move.

Earlier in August this year, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had announced a 10-year plan bring prohibition of serving liquor to Kerala shutting down over 700 bars across the state.

He said that only five-star hotel would be allowed to keep serving booze and even they would have to go dry on Sundays.

The bar owners had challenged the order in court. They claimed the decision was taken in ‘haste’ and would be counter-productive as it would lose substantial revenue to the state’s exchequer, besides affecting tourism.

The Bar owners’ association had also approached the Supreme Court on the issue. The top court had stayed the government's decision till September 30 and said that the exemption to five-stars appeared illogical.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.