August 20, 2026 07:14 pm (IST)
Conveyed Lalit Modi's request for travel documents to UK on humanitarian grounds: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi, June 14 (IBNS): Amid a controversy whether Sushma Swaraj helped former Indian Premier League (IPL) commissioner Lalit Modi, who is accused of financial irregularities in the game, procure travel documents in the UK last year, the External Affairs Minister on Sunday defended herself and said she helped convey his request to the British envoy 'taking a humanitarian view.'
In a series of tweets, Swaraj said, "Sometime in July 2014 Lalit Modi spoke to me that his wife was suffering from Cancer and her surgery was fixed for 4th Aug in Portugal. He told me that he had to be present in the Hospital to sign the consent papers. He informed me that he had applied for travel documents in London and UK Government was prepared to give him the travel documents."
She wrote: "However, they were restrained by a UPA Government communication that this will spoil Indo-UK relations. Taking a humanitarian view, I conveyed to the British High Commissioner that 'British Government should examine the request of Lalit Modi as per British rules and regulations."
"If the British Government chooses to give travel documents to Lalit Modi, that will not spoil our bilateral relations. Keith Vaz also spoke to me and I told him precisely what I told the British High Commissioner. I genuinely believe that in a situation such as this, giving emergency travel documents to an Indian citizen cannot and should not spoil relations between the two countries," she said.
Lalit Modi has been in the UK since 2010 when the India Premier League was caught in a huge controversy over an alleged betting scandal.
Modi's passport was revoked in March that year.
However, Modi was given a visa after Indian-origin British MP Keith Vaz recommended his name.
According to the British media, Vaz said Swaraj had pressurised UK's top immigration official to grant British travel papers to Modi.
Meanwhile, the Oppositions are demanding Swaraj's resignation over the row.
The Congress party said that Swaraj helping an ED offender is "appalling"
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Latest Headlines
‘I apologise to Indian Army’: Woman in viral ‘We are Gen Z’ Ladakh video speaks out
Thu, Aug 20 2026
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area
Thu, Aug 20 2026
Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Thu, Aug 20 2026
From UK Parliament to Kerala temple: Scottish MP marries Indian woman after years-long love story
Thu, Aug 20 2026
‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row
Thu, Aug 20 2026
India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi
Thu, Aug 20 2026
‘We are Gen Z’: Woman’s Kargil outburst at security officer sparks row, Omar Abdullah reacts
Thu, Aug 20 2026
