August 22, 2026 08:35 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences

3 more rescued in Chennai building collapse, toll rises

| | Jul 01, 2014, at 05:39 pm
Chennai, July 1 (IBNS): The death toll in Saturday's building collapse near Chennai reached 26 on Tuesday even as three more were rescued alive from the rubble.
After a woman was rescued alive a day ago, three more were found alive. 
 
While rescuers hoped to bring out more people alive, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had said there were 72 construction workers in the building when it collapsed. 
 
The 11-storey building collapsed at around 6 pm Saturday at Moulivakkam near Chennai.

 An unknown number of people are still trapped inside.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday blamed the  builders for the mishap.

She said 'it appeared' that the builders violated norms.

"It appears that the building plans which was approved was not strictly adhered to by the builders. Nothing wrong with the plan that was submitted for approval. The builders knowingly committed many violations and did not adhere to the plan...It is too early to say what went wrong but it appears to be a structural fault," she told reporters.

Five people have been arrested in connection to the matter so far.

The incident occurred on a day when seven people died in a building collapse in New Delhi's Indralok area.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.