February 17, 2026 06:16 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Meghalaya doctor dies from Covid-19, six relatives and helpers test positive

| @indiablooms | Apr 15, 2020, at 11:24 am

Guwahati/IBNS: A Meghalaya doctor on Wednesday morning died becoming the first Covid-19 patient and victim of the northeastern state while six more positive cases were confirmed among his family members and helpers.

Confirming the report, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said that six people who are the family members and helpers of the first COVID-19 positive patient of the state have tested positive.

Thus a total of seven positive cases for COVID-19 have been detected in Meghalaya so far.

The 69-year-old senior doctor of a Shillong based hospital was tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday. He passed away at Bethany Hospital in Shillong.

The Meghalaya Chief Minister further said following the first COVID-19 positive case, the hospital has been completely sealed and samples of the doctor’s family members, his helpers have been collected and out of 68 tested samples six have come out positive.

They are all family members and helpers of the senior doctor.

Conrad Sangma also said that six other cases are being retested.

Sangma tweeted: “Of the 68 tested so far, 6 have come out positive who are all family members & helpers of the first #Covid19 positive case. 6 other cases are being retested. All the rest of the cases are negative.”

 

 

(By Hemanta Kumar Nath, Guwahati)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.