February 17, 2026 12:12 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Laos confirms first 2 COVID-19 cases

| @indiablooms | Mar 24, 2020, at 05:30 pm

Vientiane/Xinhua/UNI:  Laos has detected the first two confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country, Lao Health Ministry officials told a press conference on Tuesday.

According to Deputy Health Minister Phouthone Moungpak, the two confirmed cases, both Lao nationals, are likely to be imported.

The infected female tourist guide went to Vangvieng, Luang Prabang in northern Laos and Cambodia before showing flu-like symptoms.

The other infected male hotel staff is suspected to be infected in Thailand while receiving a training course there.

Both of them are treated in the designated hospital, the Mittaphab Hospital (150 Hospital), in Vientiane.

The patients are not in serious condition and the treatment is going well, said the deputy minister, adding their close contacts have been quarantined.

According to the official, the Lao medical institutions have tested 131 suspected cases.

The Lao government has improved or adjusted its measures in line with the real COVID-19 epidemic situation of each period, Lao Foreign Minister Saleumxay Kommasith said last week.

The cabinet has decided to adopt additional preventive measures in the coming months, including closing border checkpoints, suspending visa on arrival, advising against mass gatherings and travelling abroad, imposing compulsory self-quarantine for inbound travelers from high-risk countries, and closing entertainment business and schools, among others.

The Lao government has also announced the designated places for COVID-19 treatment, with sufficient doctors and nurses. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.