February 18, 2026 05:18 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
COVID19
Image: Unsplash

Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases

| @indiablooms | Aug 24, 2020, at 11:20 pm

Beijing/Xinhua: No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Sunday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday.

A total of 16 confirmed cases arriving from outside the mainland were reported Sunday, the commission said in its daily report.

One new suspected case arriving from outside the mainland was reported in Shanghai, and no deaths related to the disease were reported on the mainland, it added.

Of the new imported cases, five were reported in Shanghai, three each in the provinces of Fujian, Sichuan and Yunnan, and one each in Shanxi and Shandong, the commission said.

On Sunday, 30 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery, the commission said.

By the end of Sunday, a total of 2,418 imported cases had been reported on the mainland. Of them, 2,203 had been discharged from hospitals after recovery, and 215 remained hospitalized, with two in severe condition. No deaths from the imported cases had been reported.
As of Sunday, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland had reached 84,967, including 408 patients who were still being treated, with 14 in severe condition.

Altogether 79,925 people had been discharged after recovery, and 4,634 had died of the disease on the mainland, the commission said.

There were two suspected COVID-19 cases on the mainland, it added.

According to the commission, 13,220 close contacts were still under medical observation after 1,375 were discharged on Sunday.

Also on Sunday, 27 new asymptomatic cases, all from outside the mainland, were reported, and one asymptomatic case was re-categorized as a confirmed one.

The commission said 374 asymptomatic cases, including 306 from outside the mainland, were still under medical observation.

By Sunday, 4,682 confirmed cases including 77 deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), together with 46 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR and 487 cases including seven deaths in Taiwan.

A total of 4,018 COVID-19 patients in the Hong Kong SAR, 46 in the Macao SAR, and 457 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospitals after recovery. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.