February 19, 2026 06:59 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Photo: Video grab

Rohit Arya, who held children hostage, claimed Maharashtra govt denied him credit for school project

| @indiablooms | Oct 30, 2025, at 10:31 pm

Mumbai: Rohit Arya, who held several children hostage at a Mumbai studio on Thursday, was reportedly enraged with the Maharashtra government for allegedly denying him credit and payment for a school improvement project titled “Majhi Shala, Sundar Shala.”

He was shot dead by police during the rescue operation in Powai.

According to an India Today report, a Pune native, Arya had earlier worked on the project under the then Education Minister Deepak Kesarkar and later accused the government of stealing his idea. He claimed the initiative was based on his film “Let’s Change,” which inspired the concept.

“They used me to complete the work, but after that, they tried to suppress me,” he had said.

Arya alleged that officials implemented his concept under the state’s education programme without giving him credit or dues.

“They didn’t give me credit or money; they simply disowned my whole existence,” he had said in an earlier statement.

He also took credit for launching the Swachhta Monitor initiative in 2023 and said he was similarly denied recognition. In pursuit of acknowledgment, Arya staged multiple protests and went on a month-long hunger strike.

He had said, “On the night of August 3, Minister Deepak Kesarkar came to meet me at my home... and assured me that everything would be resolved August 5. But on August 7, it became clear that the minister's assurances were false.”

Naming several officials in his earlier statements, Arya had warned, “If I commit suicide, then Deepak Kesarkar, his personal secretary Mangesh Shinde, then education commissioner Suraj Mandhare, Tushar Mahajan, and Sameer Sawant will be responsible for it.”

Following the incident, former minister Kesarkar admitted Arya’s role in the project and said the issue should have been resolved.

“Rohit Arya had a concept called Swachhta Monitor (Cleanliness Monitor). He was also assigned work for my school’s Sundar Shala (Beautiful School) project... This matter should be resolved through discussion with the department. It is wrong to hold someone hostage like this,” Kesarkar said.

The hour-long standoff ended when police broke into the studio through a bathroom and rescued all 17 children unhurt. Air guns and chemicals were recovered from the site.

Arya, critically injured during the operation, succumbed to a bullet wound in the hospital.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.