August 20, 2026 01:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Park Street rape case: Main accused Kader Khan arrested from UP

| | Sep 30, 2016, at 07:36 pm
Kolkata, Sept 30 (IBNS): Nearly four years and eight months after a middle-aged woman- Suzette Jordan- was gang-raped in Kolkata's Park Street area, the Kolkata Police on Thursday night arrested Kader Khan- the main accused in the case- from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, officials said.


According to police reports, Kader Khan was booked from a flat in Ghaziabad along with his close aid Ali, who is also a key offender in the rape case.

They were produced in a local court on Friday morning and brought to Kolkata on transit remand.

Police have taken them to Lalbazar police headquarters from Kolkata airport and they will be produced to the Bankshall Court in the city shortly, officials said.

On the Feb 5-6 night in 2012, Suzette Jordan was allegedly gang-raped at gunpoint inside a moving car by some youths who befriended her at a night joint in Kolkata's nightlife hub Park Street.

Creating a major movement in society, Suzette, the mother of two, revealed her identity to the world on June 19, 2013 and marched on the streets of Kolkata to protest against a series of rapes and murders in the state and later became a symbol of anti-rape protest.

The 40-year-old rape-survivor passed away due to meningoencephalitis at a hospital in Kolkata on Mar 13 last year.

On Dec 11 in 2015, a criminal court in Kolkata sentenced three men- Nasir Khan, Ruman Khan and Sumit Bajaj- to ten years in prison after convicting them for raping Suzette, while the main accused, Kader Khan, besides  another offender Ali had been  absconding since the incident.

 


(Reporting by Deepayan Sinha)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.