February 16, 2026 10:12 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Op. Sindoor
India's External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in Delhi in August 2025. Photo: Jaishankar/X

New Delhi/IBNS: India has rejected China’s claim that Beijing mediated the ceasefire between New Delhi and Islamabad during the intense military confrontation in May last year, media reports said.

India categorically stated that the ceasefire came into effect following a request from Pakistan, and that no third party played any role in the process.

“India’s position on mediation has always been clear. There was no mediation that took place after Operation Sindoor. India has consistently maintained that there can be no third-party intervention,” NDTV reported, quoting sources in the Indian government.

According to the sources, Pakistan approached India’s Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) seeking a ceasefire.

The clarification comes amid similar claims made for months by US President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly asserted that Washington played a role in brokering the ceasefire.

More recently, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi claimed that Beijing had mediated peace in several conflict zones, including between India and Pakistan and Cambodia and Thailand.

Trump had earlier announced the ceasefire first on social media and subsequently claimed credit for halting hostilities during Operation Sindoor, which was launched by the Indian Armed Forces on the intervening night of May 6–7 in response to the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack.

However, these claims have been firmly rejected by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.

Addressing Parliament, Prime Minister Modi said no global leader had urged India to stop the operation.

“On the night of May 9, the Vice President of the United States attempted to contact me. He tried for an hour, but I was in a meeting with the military and was unable to answer,” Modi said.

“Later, when I returned his call, the Vice President informed me that Pakistan was planning a major offensive. I made it clear that if this was Pakistan’s intent, it would face dire consequences,” he added.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.