February 19, 2026 10:13 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Hema Malini
Hema Malini triggers row over comment on Maha Kumbh stampede. Photo Courtesy: Hema Malini Instagram page

It was not that big, says Hema Malini on Maha Kumbh stampede incident that left 30 dead

| @indiablooms | Feb 04, 2025, at 04:35 pm

BJP MP Hema Malini has triggered a controversy by calling the recent stampede incident, which left at least 30 people dead, at the ongoing Maha Kumbh as 'not a very big incident'.

Speaking to the media, Hema Malini was quoted as saying: "We also visited the Maha Kumbh. The incident did happen. It wasn't that big."

"It has been exaggerated," she said.

Appreciating the Uttar Pradesh government, Malini, a yesteryear Bollywood actress, said CM Yogi Adityanath-led administration is managing the event well.

Akhilesh Yadav demands release of actual death toll

Meanwhile, Samajwadi Party chief and Lok Sabha MP Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Uttar Pradesh must release the actual death toll in the stampede which took place at Hindu festival Maha Kumbh Mela in Prayagraj late last month.

Akhilesh alleged the BJP government suppressed the actual toll and also appealed for an all-party meeting on the stampede.

"Along with the budget figures, the government must also present the figures related to the deaths that occurred in Maha Kumbh. I appeal to the government to call an all-party meeting to explain the Maha Kumbh management," he said in the Lok Sabha.

The former Uttar Pradesh chief minister said the Army should be employed in the disaster works besides alleging that JCB machines were used to lift the dead bodies from the mela.

"The Army should be handed over the responsibility of the Maha Kumbh disaster management. Strict actions must be taken against people who are held responsible for the Maha Kumbh tragedy and also the ones who are trying to cover up the truth," the leader of the third largest party in the Lok Sabha said.

While Akhilesh demanded action against the one held responsible, the Supreme Court rejected the plea seeking action against Uttar Pradesh government officials over the stampede which as per the administration killed 30 people.

The top court, which called the stampede "unfortunate", has asked the petitioner to approach the Allahabad High Court.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.