August 19, 2026 04:16 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
PM Modi says since 2002, not a single case of riots has occurred in Gujarat. Photo courtesy: Videograb from YouTube

Fake narrative was spread around 2002 Godhra riots: PM Modi to podcaster Lex Fridman

| @indiablooms | Mar 16, 2025, at 11:37 pm

Prime Minister Narendra Modi in an interview with podcaster Lex Fridman said the 2002 Sabarmati Express attack in Gujarat's Godhra was a "tragedy of unimaginable magnitude" and the riots that followed this "was tragic for everyone".

In a three-hour-long interview, PM Modi spoke in length about the 2002 riots in Gujarat and the lessons he learned from it.

Contrary to the perception, PM Modi claimed that the riots that took place in 2002 were not the worst that Gujarat has seen.

Nor has there been any communal tension in the state since.

PM Modi said a fake narrative was spread around the Godhra riots. Before 2002, Gujarat had witnessed over 250 riots, and communal violence was frequent.

"The perception that the 2002 riot was the biggest ever is misinformation," PM Modi said.

The world had seen a surge in terrorist activities and violence during those times," the Indian PM added.

He said that since 2002, not a single case of riots has occurred in Gujarat.

PM Modi, who was then Gujarat's Chief Minister, said that people tried to malign his image after the riots but ultimately, justice prevailed and the courts cleared him of all charges.

He claimed that the Kandahar hijack, the 9/11 attack in the US, and attacks on the J&K Assembly and Parliament had "created the background". 

"In such a tense environment, even the smallest spark had the potential to ignite unrest. The situation had already become extremely volatile," he said.

"You can imagine, against the backdrop of incidents like the Kandahar hijacking, the attack on Parliament, or even 9/11, and then to have so many people killed and burned alive... You can imagine how tense and volatile the situation was. Of course, this was tragic for everyone, everyone prefers peace," he said.

He said he was shouldered with the responsibility of leading Gujarat amid the massive Bhuj earthquake and its aftermath including the rehabilitation efforts.

"This was a crucial task, and from day one after my oath, I immersed myself in it. I was a person who had absolutely no prior experience with the government. I had never been part of any administration, never even served in government before. I had never contested an election, never even been a State Representative. For the first time in my life, I had to face elections.

"On February 24, 2002, I became a State Representative, an elected representative, for the first time. And it was only around February 24th, 25th, or 26th that I stepped into the Gujarat Assembly for the very first time.

"On February 27, 2002, we were seated in the assembly for the budget session, and that same day, it had been just three days since I'd become a State Representative when suddenly, the horrific Godhra incident occurred," he said.

Summing up, he said, "So there was a long history long before I was in the picture. But that one tragic incident in 2002 became a sparking point, leading some people towards violence. Yet, the judiciary thoroughly investigated the matter. At that time, our political opponents were in power, and naturally, they wanted all allegations against us to stick."

But "despite their relentless efforts, the judiciary analyzed the situation meticulously, twice, and ultimately, found us completely innocent. Those who were truly responsible have faced justice from the courts," he added.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.