May 30, 2024 16:34 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Liquor policy case: Delhi court seeks ED's response on Arvind Kejriwal's bail plea | Shashi Tharoor's former PA arrested at Delhi Airport in gold smuggling case, Congress leader says 'law must take its own course' | Bihar man dies in Delhi hospital due to heat stroke amid record-breaking heatwave in national capital | Bengali film actress Rituparna Sengupta summoned by ED in ration distribution scam | Centre begins process of granting citizenship under CAA in West Bengal
Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed apologises to Indian citizens over Mohamed Muizzu's stance
Mohamed Nasheed
Photo Courtesy: Mohamed Nasheed X page

Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed apologises to Indian citizens over Mohamed Muizzu's stance

| @indiablooms | 09 Mar 2024, 04:08 pm

Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed has expressed concern and apologised to the Indian nationals over the recent deteriorating relationship between the two countries.

He urged Indian tourists to visit the Maldives.

Speaking to ANI, Nasheed said, “It has impacted the Maldives a lot, and I am actually here in India. I'm very worried about this. I want to say the people of the Maldives are sorry, we are sorry that this has happened. We want Indian people to come on their holidays to the Maldives, and there will not be any change in our hospitality.”

He urged current President Mohamed Muizzu-led government to put an end to the anti-India narrative.

“It's very unfortunate that President Muizzu had these discussions. I would call him to please stop these discussions on the Dornier flight and the helicopters. They were brought to the Maldives for medical evacuation, and there is a need for medical evacuation," he told ANI.

Mohamed Muizzu's recent stance

Continuing his anti-India stance, Maldives President Mohamed Muizzu has said no Indian military personnel, not even those in civilian clothing, will remain in his nation after May 10 deadline.

Addressing the residential community of Baa atoll Eydhafushi during his tour across the atoll, the President stated that due to this government’s success in expelling Indian troops from the country, people who spread false rumours are attempting to twist the situation, reported The Edition.

“That these people [Indian military] are not departing, that they are returning after changing their uniforms into civilian clothing. We must not indulge such thoughts that instill doubts in our hearts and spread lies,” he said.

“There will be no Indian troops in the country come May 10. Not in uniform and not in civilian clothing. Indian military will not be residing in this country in any form of clothing. I state this with confidence," the President said amid the deteriorating relationship with India in recent days.

While the first troops to depart the country are the Indian military personnel operating helicopters in Addu City, the military personnel present in Haa Dhaalu atoll Hanimaadhoo and Laamu atoll Kahdhoo are also expected to leave ahead of May 10, reported The Edition.

Currently, there are approximately 80 Indian military personnel stationed in the Maldives, media reports said.

The President came to power last year by riding on his anti-Indian stance.

Recent controversy

Recently, Indians have expressed anger against Maldivian authorities on social media after its Minister Mariyam Shiuna’s disparaging comments on Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a "clown" and "puppet" in posts on X, which have since been deleted.

These tweets were removed following criticism and backlash on the micro-blogging site.

Other Maldivian officials, including another minister named Zahid Rameez, also mocked Prime Minister Modi's visit to Lakshadweep after the photos garnered significant attention on social media as many drew comparisons between Modi's visit and the Maldives.

Closeness to China

Amid a strained relationship with India, the Maldivian government has signed a military agreement with China.

Maldives Military of Defence posted on X: "Minister of Defence @mgmaumoon and Major General Zhang Baoqun, Deputy Director of the Office for International Military Cooperation of the People's Republic of China, signed an agreement on China's provision of military assistance gratis to the Republic of Maldives, fostering stronger bilateral ties."

Details of the agreement are still not known.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.