CBI seeks restoration of Interpol's Red Notice against Mehul Choksi
New Delhi/UNI: Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) took up with Commission for Control of INTERPOL’s Files (CCF) the serious shortcomings and mistakes committed in the manner of reaching the ‘unfounded and perfunctory’ decision to remove Red Notice against Mehul Choksi, CBI said in a statement on Tuesday
"CBI has been continuing to exercise available remedial and appellate options within INTERPOL for rectification of the faulty decision and for restoration of Red Notice against fugitive Choksi.
"CBI remains in active communication with CCF and other bodies in INTERPOL in an ongoing process relating to the case," the agency statement said.
CCF is a separate body within INTERPOL that is not under the control of INTERPOL Secretariat and is mainly staffed by elected lawyers from different countries.
The agency statement said, "Mehul Choksi had been making all possible attempts to derail ongoing extradition proceedings in Antigua and Barbuda, to evade the process of law in India.
"However, based on mere imaginary conjunctures and unproven surmises, a five member CCF chamber, has taken a decision on deletion of Red Notice, communicated in November, 2022."
It may be noted that an INTERPOL Red Notice is neither a pre requisite nor a requirement for extradition proceedings.
The Global Operations Centre of CBI continues to closely monitor movements of Mehul Choksi in close direct coordination with foreign law enforcement agencies and not reliant only on INTERPOL channels.
Extradition request made by India is under active consideration with the authorities in Antigua and Barbuda and remains fully unimpacted by Red notice related communications with INTERPOL, it added.
The CBI remains committed to return fugitives and criminals to India to face the process of criminal justice.
Systematic steps have been initiated in close coordination with foreign law enforcement agencies for geo-locating and returning of wanted criminals and economic offenders.
In the last 15 months, over 30 wanted criminals have returned to India, the agency said in a statement.