January 30, 2023 04:11 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Hockey Men's World Cup 2023: India beat Japan 8-0 in classification match | Amid row, Kerala Congress screens controversial BBC documentary on PM Modi in Thiruvananthapuram | Republic Day Parade to showcase India’s indigenous military prowess, cultural diversity | Mulayam Singh Yadav, Zakir Hussain conferred Padma Vibhushan award | Dilip Mahalanabis, who pioneered ORS use, to be awarded Padma Vibhushan
'Farjiwada exposed': Nawab Malik's fresh attack after Bombay HC's order in Aryan Khan case Aryan Khan Drug Probe

'Farjiwada exposed': Nawab Malik's fresh attack after Bombay HC's order in Aryan Khan case

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 21 Nov 2021, 07:39 am

Mumbai/IBNS: Intensifying his attack on Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Maharashtra minister Nawab Malik said that Bombay High Court's bail order for actor Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan Khan and other accused proves that it was a case of kidnapping for ransom, according to media reports.

The minister has repeatedly hurled accusations at the anti-drug agency, especially its zonal director Sameer Wankhede, saying that Aryan Khan and others had been framed in the drugs-on-cruise case.

In the latest blow, he highlighted the pointers from Bombay High Court's judgment to reassert his claim.

"The Farjiwada now stands exposed," Malik said in his fresh barb on the anti-drug agency's probe.

The PTI reported that Malik issued a statement in which he demanded that Wankhede must be suspended. He said the court's order puts a question mark on the NCB's arrest of Aryan Khan.

In a detailed 14-page order, which was delivered by Justice Nitin Sambre and was uploaded on the website of Bombay High Court on Saturday, the court observed that “no prima facie evidence” against the trio were found in relation to the charges of ‘conspiracy’ and ‘common intent’ in the case.

On October 28, the court granted conditional bail to Khan, Dhamecha and Merchant through an operative order and said that a detailed order will be delivered later.

In its order, Justice Sambre said that NCB's claim on the common intention to commit an offence under the NDPS Act, (accused) found to be in possession of commercial quantity of drugs and hatching conspiracy is "liable to be rejected".

The court said that merely because the accused were travelling on the cruise cannot be grounds to invoke the offence under Section 29 (criminal conspiracy) against them.

"This court is required to be sensitive to the fact that there has to be a presence of basic material in the form of evidence so as to substantiate the case of conspiracy against the applicants (accused)," Justice Sambre noted.

He further said that no drugs were found on Khan, while the quantity recovered from Dhamecha and Merchant was 'small' under the NDPS Act

Under such circumstances, in order to invoke the offence of conspiracy against the accused, there has to be positive evidence about an agreement to do an unlawful act or to do a lawful act by unlawful means, and such agreement must precede with a meeting of minds, but there is no such material, in this case, the court observed.

Justice Sambre said that the probe to date suggested that the accused trio were travelling independently and there was no ‘meeting of minds’ on the issue, as contended by the NCB.

Accordingly, since there was no offence of conspiracy, the rigours of NDPS Act Section 37 on grant of bail would not apply here, the court said, granting bail to Khan, Dhamecha and Merchant last month.