May 27, 2022 04:39 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
IAS officer transferred to Ladakh, wife to Arunachal over Delhi stadium dog walking row | Gang-rape accused injured in police firing in Assam’s Kokrajhar | Bengal govt to amend law to make CM Mamata Banerjee chancellor of state-run universities | Link your personal goals with that of country: PM Modi tells Hyderabad B-school graduates | 10 held for stone-pelting outside Yasin Malik's residence
4 sentenced to death by NIA court in 2013 Patna serial blasts ahead of PM Modi's rally 2013 Patna serial blasts
Image Credit: Pixabay

4 sentenced to death by NIA court in 2013 Patna serial blasts ahead of PM Modi's rally

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 01 Nov 2021, 09:28 pm

Patna/IBNS: Four men have been awarded death sentences for their involvement in the 2013 blasts in Patna that left six dead and 89 injured, media reports said.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) special court also sentenced two to life imprisonment, two to a 10-year jail term and one to seven years in jail, reported NDTV

Imtiaz Ansari, Mujibullah, Haider Ali, Firoz Aslam, Omar Ansari, Iftekhar, Ahmed Husain, Umair Siddiqui and Azharuddin were convicted in the case and one Fakhruddin was acquitted, stated the report.

On October 27, 2013, blasts rocked Patna's historic Gandhi Maidan, the place  Modi, then Gujarat Chief Minister and BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, was going to address a "Hunkar Rally".

The explosions took place just before Modi arrived.

Shortly before, blasts also took place at the Patna railway station.

NIA investigations later found the blasts were planned and executed by the proscribed Students' Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and a Ranchi module of its new avatar, the Indian Mujahideen.

Last week, the NIA court convicted nine out of 10 accused in connection with the serial blasts and acquitted one due to lack of evidence.

News agency PTI reported quoting NIA counsel and Special Public Prosecutor Lalan Prasad Singh that the anti-terror organisation submitted charge sheets against 11 people, including a minor.

While the minor's case was sent to the juvenile justice board, the others were put on trial, he said.