November 28, 2021 02:21 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Two cases of COVID-19 variant Omicron detected in UK | India's South Africa tour amid COVID-19 variant: Players' safety paramount, says BCCI treasurer Dhumal | ICC Women's Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2021 called off | Hosps in Delhi asked to be on high alert over new Covid variant 'omicron' | Bill to repeal farm laws listed in Lok Sabha for Nov 29
Bengal woman on way to farmers' protest site in Tikri border allegedly gang-raped, victim with corona dies Tikri Border Rape

Bengal woman on way to farmers' protest site in Tikri border allegedly gang-raped, victim with corona dies

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 10 May 2021, 07:33 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: A 25-year-old woman from the eastern state of West Bengal, who was on her way to the ongoing farmers' protests at Tikri along Delhi-Haryana border, was allegedly raped by two men, media reports said. The victim has, however, died at a Jhajjar Hospital after developing Covid-19 symptoms.

The Haryana Police have formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe into the allegations.

"The woman was admitted to a hospital in Jhajjar district with Covid symptoms on April 26. She died April 30. The woman's father then filed a case of rape against two men," an NDTV report quoting Bahadurgarh police officer Vijay Kumar said.

According to a Times Now report, Bahadurgarh Station House Officer (SHO) said the victim was a supporter of the farmers' movement and decided to visit the protest site with the accused. 

The accused have been booked under various sections including gangrape, molestation, kidnapping and criminal intimidation of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

Times of India said the victim was in a tent at Tikri border under the banner of Kisan Social Army.
 The SIT was formed after the victim's father alleged that she was raped by some men while she was on her way to the farmers' protests at Tikri border.

The victim's father has stated in his complaint that his daughter had left West Bengal for Tikri border on Apr 10. She had decided to join the farmers' protest after a meeting in West Bengal's Hooghly district, said reports.

The woman was admitted to the hospital on the intervening night between Apr 25 and 26 with Covid symptoms and she died on 30th of the same month.

Meanwhile, amid criticism that they were aware of the incident and yet kept quiet, the Samyukta Kisan Morcha in a statement on Twitter said  it had already taken the "strictest possible action" on the incident.

"Four days ago, the Tikri committee of SKM had already removed the tents and banners etc of the so called 'Kisan Social Army'. The accused were barred from participating in the movement and public appeal issued for their social boycott. The SKM has made it clear that the Kisan Social Army was never the authorized social media voice of the SKM and none of its handles have anything to do with the movement," the statement released on Sunday said.