Karnataka government orders probe into Chikkaballapur blast case: CM BS Yediyurappa
Bengaluru/UNI: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa has ordered a probe into the incident of the Chikkaballapur blast in which six persons were killed and three injured.
"Directions have been issued to conduct a thorough inquiry and act against those involved," he said.
At least six people died following a huge gelatin explosion in the Hirenagavalli village of Chikkaballapur.
Meanwhile, an investigation is underway into a similar blast that took place in the Hunasodu village in Shivamogga killing six people last month.
According to Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai, who rushed to Hirenagavalli, said the blast occurred on Monday night.
"The blast was caused in the air, not on the ground. Based on preliminary information, it happened at the time of handling the explosives," he said.
The quarry in this case belongs to Sri Shirdi Sai Company run by three people - two from Andhra Pradesh and one local resident.
"They have three acres of quarry and another three acres for a crusher," Bommai said.
Apparently, this quarry was raided earlier this month and the police had seized a vehicle.
"It looks like they were trying to transport (explosives) so that it can be stored somewhere else," Bommai said.
Describing the scene at the blast site, Bommai seemed at a loss for words.
"This is a huge blast. It's very painful to see this. The bodies are dismembered. I asked myself, what if this happened to my family..." he said, promising action against those responsible for the incident.
Leader of the Opposition Siddaramaiah blamed the Yediyurappa administration for the deaths of six people.
"It's not gelatin that killed them. It's the bad administration of the CM who is moving to legalise illegal quarries," he added.