'Factually incorrect': India dismisses Chinese claims on cancelled event for joint release of commemorative stamps
New Delhi/IBNS: The joint release of commemorative stamps to mark the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between India and China, which was one of the activities agreed with the Chinese side last year, has not been cancelled owing to lack of response from India as claimed by China, the Ministry Of External Affairs (MEA) said Friday.
However, there had been no discussion on any launch date with any Chinese authorities for this activity, MEA spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said in the weekly press conference on Friday.
"We have also seen the Chinese embassy’s tweet suggesting that this event was cancelled by the Chinese side on account of no feedback given by the Indian side before the launch time agreed by both - this is factually incorrect," the MEA spokesperson said.
It may also be noted that the launch of the 70th anniversary celebrations itself has not taken place yet, and therefore, the issue of going ahead with joint activities under its ambit does not arise, he added.
Sino-India relations continue to remain tense after China's attempt to change the status quo on LAC in eastern Ladakh's Galwan Valley on June 15 in which at least 20 Indian personnel were martyred and unconfirmed reports claimed at least 45 Chinese personnel were killed in a befitting reply by the Indian soldiers.
In another attempt to change the status-quo at the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the Chinese troops on the intervening night of 29/30 August carried out provocative military movements at Pangong Tso in eastern Ladakh to only get thwarted by India.
In order to contain China and stop it from muscle-flexing at the LAC, Indian government banned hundreds of Chinese mobile apps including the very popular TikTok.