June 18, 2024 06:56 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Centre likely to name Speaker on June 26; Odisha, Andhra leaders in top race | Priyanka Gandhi to make poll debut with contest from from Wayanad, Rahul keeps Raebareli | Opposition slams Centre over Bengal train mishap that left 9 dead, demands govt to take responsibility | Elon Musk has not understood what the Indian EVM is: Rajeev Chandrasekhar counters Tesla CEO's claim | Result of mismanagement and negligence of Modi govt: Rahul Gandhi on Kanchanjungha train accident
'Brilliantly appropriate': Shashi Tharoor's praise on Covid-19 themed Durga Puja in Kolkata
Durga Puja | Covid-19
Image tweeted @ShashiTharoor

'Brilliantly appropriate': Shashi Tharoor's praise on Covid-19 themed Durga Puja in Kolkata

| @indiablooms | 19 Oct 2020, 06:28 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: Congress leader Shashi Tharoor has lauded the creative depiction of the coronavirus theme by a Durga Puja Committee in Kolkata in its marquee for the five-day festival starting from October 22.

The puja organisers have honoured the health workers by depicting the goddess as a doctor and demon Mahishasura as the deadly coronavirus. Instead of the trident the goddess is slaying the demon in the form of coronavirus with an injection.

Tharoor, who was impressed by the concept, shared a picture of the idol terming the creative representation "brilliantly appropriate" amid the pandemic.

The Calcutta High Court on Monday barred the entry of common people into the pandals in view of Covid-19 pandemic situation in the eastern state.

The high court has declared all puja pandals no entry zones for the visitors.

Not more than 25 people for the big budget pujas and 15 for the small-budget pujas, who would be the organisers, will be allowed iinside the pandal n view the covid-19 pandemic..

The area five metres and 10 metres away from small and big puja pandals respectively will be barricaded.

West Bengal on Sunday reported the highest-ever single-day spike with 3,983 fresh infections, taking the overall tally in the state to 3,21,036.

Earlier the Calcutta HC had questioned the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal over its dole of Rs.50 thousand to each of 34 thousand Durga Puja committees to conduct the festival.

A division bench of the Calcutta High Court on Friday passed an interim order that all the Durga Puja committees in West Bengal, which have been granted a dole of Rs. 50,000 each by the state government, can spend the "public money" only in public interest.

The court directed that 75 per cent of the amount had to be spent to buy Covid-19 protective equipment, including masks and sanitisers, while the clubs or puja committees had to expend the remaining 25% in awareness promotion and community-policing or community oriented policing (COP).

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.