June 16, 2024 02:00 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After his 'Lord Ram' taunt on BJP creates uproar, RSS leader makes a U-turn | NDA govt formed by mistake, can fall anytime: Congress chief Mallikarjun Kharge's claim | PM Modi returns to India after 'successful completion of G7 Outreach Summit' in Italy | Delhi LG approves prosecution of Arundhati Roy, Sheikh Showkat Hussain in 2010 provocative speech case | BS Yediyurappa, accused of harassing minor, can't be arrested till next hearing: Karnataka HC
Bengal Govt's Rs. 50K Durga Puja dole can only be used in 'public interest', not in decoration, entertainment, amusement: Calcutta HC to State
Bengal Government
Avishek Mitra/IBNS

Bengal Govt's Rs. 50K Durga Puja dole can only be used in 'public interest', not in decoration, entertainment, amusement: Calcutta HC to State

| @indiablooms | 16 Oct 2020, 06:48 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: A division bench of the Calcutta High Court on Friday passed an interim order that all the Durga Puja committees in West Bengal, which have been granted a dole of Rs. 50,000 each by the state government, can spend the "public money" only in public interest.

The court directed that 75% of the amount had to be spent to buy Covid-19 protective equipment, including masks and sanitisers, while the clubs or puja committees had to expend the remaining 25% in awareness promotion and community-policing or community oriented policing (COP).

While hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed by CITU leader from Durgapur, Saurav Dutta, challenging Bengal government's decision of permitting Durga Puja and granting Rs. 50,000 to each puja committee, a division bench of Calcutta HC's Justice Sanjib Banerjee and Justice Arijit Banerjee also ordered that the government granted dole could not be used in other purposes like decoration, amusement or entertainment.

The division bench also observed that there was a discrepancy between what the Chief Minister announced and what the government mentioned in its notification regarding the Rs. 50,000 puja grant.

The court also asked the state police's DG to print leaflets to inform all the puja committees about the court's interim order.

The division bench of the Calcutta High Court has directed the state government to collect all the details of the dole's expenditure, including bill-vouchers, and to submit those before the court as an affidavit.

The division bench said that it will hear the matter again after Laxmi Puja (Oct 30).

Since 2018, the Bengal government has been granting this dole to thousands of durga puja committees across the state.

In 2018, Rs. 10,000 was granted to each Durga Puja committee, and next year the grant was increased to Rs. 25,000 while in 2020, CM Mamata Banerjee had announced to rise the amount to 50,000.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.