India rejects China's 1959 claim on LAC at Ladakh border meet, awaits Chinese response
New Delhi/IBNS: India will wait for the Chinese response at the 7th military commanders' meeting slated on October 12 in Ladakh after dismissing Beijing's unilaterally defined 1959 claim on its perception of Line of Actual Control (LAC) at the September 30 diplomatic level talks, said media reports.
According to a Hindustan Times report, India's stance was firmly conveyed during the 19th round of Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination (WMCC) on India-China border affairs by joint secretary (East Asia) to his Chinese counterpart.
On the eve of the WMCC meet, India had rejected the Chinese attempt to force its 1959 LAC maximalist claim, stating that it had been immediately rejected when Chinese Premier Chou En-Lai had conveyed it to then prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru through a letter on November 7, 1959, said the HT report.
The Indian representatives also pointed out firmly that China was already occupying 33,000 km of land in Aksai Chin area and another 5,180 square km of Shaksgam Valley was illegally handed over by Pakistan in 1963, the report said, adding that the Chinese side had no logical and convincing reply to the Indian rejection.
At the military commanders meeting India is expecting the Chinese side to come up with its stand on LAC perception which is at the core of the current India-China face -off at six points along the 1,597 km long border in Ladakh, the report stated.