August 14, 2020 01:50 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After month-long clash, Ashok Gehlot and Sachin Pilot shake hands, smile for media | Attempts to talk to late actor were thwarted by accused: Sushant Singh Rajput's father tells SC | Former Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah tests Covid-19 negative | India announces $500 million package for Maldives connectivity, cargo projects | Honouring the honest tax payers: PM Modi unveils new tax reforms today
India-China conflict: Wang Yi, Ajit Doval discuss on standoff, agree both sides should respect LAC
Wikimedia Commons

India-China conflict: Wang Yi, Ajit Doval discuss on standoff, agree both sides should respect LAC

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 06 Jul 2020, 11:54 am

New Delhi: Weeks after the soldiers of the neighbouring nations were involved in a violent standoff at the Galwan Valley, Indian National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi, who had a telephonic conversation on Sunday, agreed both sides should respect and observe the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

As per a statement released by the Ministry of External Affairs, the two Special Representatives had a frank and in-depth exchange of views on the recent developments in the Western Sector of the India-China border areas.

The two Special Representatives agreed that both sides should take guidance from the consensus of the leaders that maintenance of peace and tranquillity in the India-China border areas was essential for the further development of our bilateral relations and that two sides should not allow differences to become disputes.

"Therefore, they agreed that it was necessary to ensure at the earliest complete disengagement of the troops along the LAC and de-escalation from India-China border areas for full restoration of peace and tranquillity," read the MEA statement.

In this regard they further agreed that both sides should complete the ongoing disengagement process along the LAC expeditiously.

"The two sides should also ensure a phased and stepwise de-escalation in the India-China border areas. They re-affirmed that both sides should strictly respect and observe the line of actual control and should not take any unilateral action to alter the status quo and work together to avoid any incident in the future that could disturb peace and tranquillity in border areas," read the MEA statement.

The two Special Representatives agreed that the diplomatic and military officials of the two sides should continue their discussions, including under the framework of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China border affairs (WMCC), and implement the understandings reached in a timely manner to achieve the above outcomes.

It was also agreed that the two Special Representatives will continue their conversations to ensure full and enduring restoration of peace and tranquillity in the India-China border areas in accordance with the bilateral agreements and protocols.

A violent standoff between the security forces of the two nations last month left at least 20 Indian soldiers killed.

Meanwhile, India and China have begun disengagement as per their agreed terms in the Corps Commanders-level held last week, sources in the government establishment said on Monday.

As per the sources, China’s People's Liberation Army (PLA) were seen uprooting tents and structures at Patrol Point-14 in Galwan Valley of Eastern Ladakh.

 “Rearward movement of vehicles of the PLA was seen at the general area Galwan, Hot Spring and Gogra,” sources told UNI.

However, specific distances have yet not known.

Patrol Point 14 in Galwan saw the violent clash between the troops of both nations on Jun 15 that led to killing of 20 Indian soldiers.

The Chinese side also suffered huge casualties but they have yet not revealed any numbers.

 Sources told UNI Indian side is cautiously observing Chinese moves and the situation will be verified on the ground over a period of time.

Following the marathon 11-hour talks between Indian and Chinese forces on Jun 29, both have arrived at a "mutual consensus" on disengagement.

Corps Commander level talks on Monday last at Chushul on the Indian side was to chalk out the differences on the ground in the aftermath of the Jun 15 face-off that saw casualties on both sides.

 During the meeting, modalities for disengagement from all friction areas in eastern Ladakh were discussed which would be taken forward by both the sides.

Since early May 2020, the Chinese side has been hindering India's normal patrolling pattern in the LAC area in Ladakh.